Having a library card could reward you with streaming hundreds of movies.
In July, LAist announced that you could stream hundreds of movies from the Criterion Collection for free if you had a Los Angeles Public Library card. And now the New York Public Library is offering access to Kanopy’s streaming service, the same service the LAPL uses.
Starting Friday, August 4, anyone with a library card (both NYPL and Brooklyn Public Library) will have access to hundreds of movies. Here are the steps to gain access to the free movies.
- You’ll need to go to nypl.kanopystreaming.com, or bklynlibrary.kanopystreaming.com, or access the site via the Library’s Articles & Databases page.
- You will need to create a sign-in and then insertin your library card number and PIN.
- You can view up to 10 movies per month with an NYPL card, and 6 per month with a BPL card.
- Once started, you will have three days to watch each movie.
- Videos are accessible with captions, transcripts, and compatibility with assistive technologies.
- Films can be watched from anywhere, anytime, on smartphones, tablets, PCs and smart TVs.